Saturday, December 19, 2009

What our kids can teach us about the power of forgiveness!

It is hard to tell what our kids know and understand about forgiveness. We ask them to say "I am sorry" to their friends if they hurt them, even if they obviously don't mean it. We show them by example by coming back and apologizing if we don't handle their behavior in the kind and respectful manner we intend to.
Yet, I still wonder what my own child understands about the power of forgiveness.


Marissa: I remember that "Cindy" (her very best friend in the world) made fun of me in front of everybody 3 years ago when we were in Kindergarten

Me: Hmmmm.. you have really good memory. Are you still mad at her for what she did in Kindergarten?

Marissa: Noooo..(now with an annoyed look on her face) I was just telling you a story about my friend Cindy.

Me: But I have heard that story a few times now and I wonder if you have forgiven Cindy for acting like that when you were in Kindergarten.

Marissa: Moooom... of course I have forgiven Cindy.. She's my best friend!

Me: How do you know you have forgiven Cindy?

Marissa: Because when I think of what happened, I remember it in my head not in my heart!


That's the power of true forgiveness as I learned it from an 8 year old. What lessons have you learned about forgiveness??


5 comments:

  1. Love it, Sandra! Sooooo true! We should take our kids' advice more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wendy!! Every time I think about this story, my heart warms up.. I'd love to hear from all of you, about how your children have taught you any powerful lessons when you least expected it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are so smart, so connected. Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Darlene! It's amazing how humbling this parenting journey really is!!
    I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is really profound and so very true! Hats off to your kiddo Sandra!!

    ReplyDelete